The service is composed of several engineers, technicians, and administrative staff. To carry out its missions, it has state-of-the-art equipment worthy of the most efficient analysis laboratories. The main tasks are:
- identification and dosage of narcotics;
- control of legal, falsified, or counterfeit medicines;
- analysis of food supplements;
- analysis of products of unknown origin;
- and analysis for the European Pharmacopoeia, the European Directorate for the Quality of Medicines and Healthcare (EDQM) and the European Medicines Agency (EMA).
Principal clients include the police, the judiciary, Customs, the Ministry of Health, but also doctors, pharmacists, social services (Jugend an Drogenhellef, Abrigado, …), companies and individuals.
Research projects are continuously being carried out, often in collaboration with other of the LNS’ departments, as well as universities and national or international research institutes.
- Analysis of psychotropic drugs handed in by users at parties (in collaboration with 4-motion, the justice system and the Ministry of Health)
- Analysis of drugs consumed in drug consumption rooms (in collaboration with Abrigado, JDH, Justice and the Ministry of Health)
- Determination of certain drugs in wastewater (in collaboration with LIST and Sidero)
- Analysis of drugs seized by Customs (in collaboration with customs and the Ministry of Health).